If you’re a newspaper reader, you may have noticed journalists are moving away from blocks of prose towards “top” lists. You know the sort of thing; “Top 10 reasons British tech companies fail”, or “5 actions to avoid winter blues”. On the interweb this craze has got way out of hand. If you look anything up on Google, most of the results will be “top” lists.
Go ahead, try it. I chose the search “why is my skin dry?”. The answer should be “Because you live in Calgary”, but heading the results I got back from the young engineers of Mountain View was “My Best 25 Tips to Fix Dry, Itchy Skin”.
So rather than buck a trend, I thought I’d give you my top ten list of lists I’d like to read:
- Top 10 reasons your iPhone falls off a horizontal surface
- 7 sure-fire excuses when failing to meet a work deadline
- 3 cast-iron aide-memoires for your partner’s birthday
- Top 12 mindful methods to remain calm in an airport immigration line
- 99 effective cues to convince your dog it’s not time for dinner
- 7 steps to speedy snow blowing
- Top 5 furniture warehouses not serving horsemeat
- 8 creative closures for energy company cold calls
- 9 local restaurants serving complimentary water
- 6 secrets of successful shopping shirkers